It is one of those cinema weeks where the new film releases more or less fall into the same category; we have sequels, we have movies with ghosts in them and we have movies that take us beyond the realm of life. A look into which ones have made the cut to our recommendation list and which ones haven't:
- Dhilliku Dhuddu 2 (Tamil): Santhanam and horror comedies have done their job well in the past and that is exactly what is repeated with this sequel to Dhilluku Dhuddu as well. TM Karthik and Rajendran return from their spirtual prequel and the movie has been deemed neither good nor bad. (Review Here)
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (English): The 3D animated adventure comedy is back with a sequel and this time Emmet Brickowski (Chirs Pratt) and his friends are all set to save Bricksburg yet again from alien invaders. The movie has lived upto the expectations of its direct prequel and is a must watch this weekend.
- Cold Pursuit (Engish) : Liam Neeson's recent remarks might have put him on the 'racist' cliffhanger but his movie Cold Pursuit has been received rather well in comparison to his statements. The movie is based on the Norwegian film 'In Order of Disappearance' and is about a snowplow driver who seeks revenge against the drug dealers whom he thinks killed his son. Worth a watch once.
- Alita: Battle Angel (English): The movie comes from the production house of James Cameron so it comes as no surprise when it is lauded for its jaw-dropping special effects. The movie takes us into a post-apocalyptic world and focuses on a female cyborg who learns to live all over again when brought back to life. Is definitely worth watching this weekend.
- The Fakir of Venice (Hindi): Farhan Akthar's 10 year old film finally made it to theaters this week and expectedly, the film hasn't been met with much welcome. The movie is about a middleman with zero morals trying to con an International art fraternity with a fake 'fakir' and has been criticized mostly for its shoddy screenplay.
- Amavas (Hindi): Another super-natural film this week, Amavas stars Sachin Joshii and Nargis Fakri and is about a couple getting stuck in a haunted place. The predictability of the film has not left it with much takers this week.
- Yatra (Telugu): Mammootty as a lead in a Telugu film is not a combination one comes across often and the film which is about one of the most celebrated leaders of the Telengana and AP is gaining laurels for the actor's performance in it. However, the film comes with a low engaging factor and passes off as a one-time watch.
- 9 (Malayalam): This Prithviraj starrer is between a psychological thriller and a science fiction film and is about an astrophysicist who is trying to take care of a personal conflict in a time of a universal conflict. The movie has opened to mixed responses and has been deemed worth watching once.
Other lesser known movies that are in theaters this weekend are Urangapuli (Tamil), Avathara Vettai (Tamil), Nethraa (Tamil) and Podhu Nalan Karudhi (Tamil).
MC Pick: The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part